In the ever-evolving world of home heating and indoor comfort, one technology continues to stand out: fireplace inserts. Fireplace inserts combine traditional aesthetics and charm with modern convenience and efficiency, offering numerous benefits to homeowners who make this upgrade. Explore the top fireplace inserts to consider and the many benefits they offer.
How Do Fireplace Inserts Work?
If you already have a wood-burning fireplace, you may wonder why you should install an enclosed combustion system in the existing fireplace opening. Consider that with traditional open fireplaces, much of the generated heat escapes up the chimney.
In contrast, a fireplace insert captures more heat and directs it into your living space, making your home warmer and more energy-efficient. Many inserts even come with a blower for better heat distribution. You can use a fireplace insert to convert your open, wood-burning fireplace into an enclosed system or upgrade to a gas or electric heat source. This makes inserts one of the most affordable ways to add a modern, convenient fireplace to your home.
Types of Fireplace Inserts
You have three main types of fireplace inserts to choose from:
Wood fireplace inserts are the perfect fit for those who want the authentic experience of a wood-burning fire. They provide a crackling, glowing ambiance while significantly improving heat efficiency and reducing emissions compared to open wood fireplaces.
Gas fireplace inserts are known for their convenience and ease of use. Operating on either natural gas or propane, these inserts provide a steady source of heat with the flick of a switch. The flame effect closely imitates the visual allure of a real wood fire, appealing to homeowners who prefer a traditional aesthetic.
Electric fireplace inserts are the epitome of ease and versatility. They do not require venting or a dedicated fuel source beyond an electrical outlet. These inserts offer a variety of modern flame effects and often come with convenient features like remote controls, timers, and thermostats.
Benefits of Installing a Fireplace Insert
If you’re trying to decide if installing a fireplace insert is worth it, consider these numerous advantages:
- Reduced heat loss: The ability to heat your home more efficiently is the primary reason most people install fireplace inserts. This makes it possible to heat your home in a traditional way but with far lower energy bills and more even heat distribution.
- Updated aesthetics: Fireplace inserts provide a fresh, updated look to your hearth without the need for extensive renovation. This, in turn, upgrades the aesthetics of the entire room with a beautiful new focal point.
- Ease of use: With simple controls and minimal maintenance, fireplace inserts are designed for convenient operation. Wood and gas inserts can even be used during power outages, keeping your home warm and lit until the power is restored.
- Health and safety: Fireplace inserts are safer and healthier than traditional open fireplaces. They produce fewer emissions and particulates, improving your home’s indoor air quality, and are much less likely to ignite a chimney fire.
- Design versatility: Whether you’re drawn to the charming wood-burning look, the convenience of a gas flame, or the sleek lines of a modern electric fireplace, you can find an insert to match your style.
Designing Around Your Fireplace Insert
A fireplace insert transforms your hearth completely. With surrounds ranging from classic black to embellished cast iron or nickel, the visual impact hinges on the size of the insert relative to the existing firebox. Depending on your chosen style, you can tailor your decor to highlight the insert’s unique qualities.
If you’re considering an electric fireplace insert, consider that freestanding versions lack a surround, leaving visible space between the insert and the firebox walls for a unique look. The design considerations for electric inserts extend to the power outlet location. Plug-in models may display visible cords running to a nearby outlet, although they offer the flexibility of burning wood in the original firebox during power outages. Alternatively, hard-wired electric inserts provide a cleaner look but permanently alter the fireplace’s functionality, which impacts heating capabilities during power outages.
Choosing the Right Fireplace Dealer
When considering a fireplace insert, it’s crucial to consult a trusted local dealer to ensure compatibility with your existing fireplace opening. That’s where Olson Energy Service comes in. As a family-owned and operated business serving Seattle since 1926, we are committed to your safety and comfort. Our decades of experience, dedication to quality, and personalized service make us the go-to option for all your fireplace insert needs.
Call us today at 206.782.5522 or contact us online to schedule a fireplace insert installation estimate in Seattle, WA. We’re here to serve, and we’re excited to help you discover the perfect fireplace insert for your home!